Disability Self-Disclosure and Request for Access Accommodations Form
This form is for use by students to self-identify their status as a person in the protected class of disability as well as to request access services, if needed.
The office of Student Disability Services (SDS) facilitates services and accommodations for students with disabilities. Examples of covered conditions include: Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD); autism spectrum disorders; chronic medical conditions (cystic fibrosis, diabetes); learning disabilities; mental health disabilities (bipolar disorder, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder); mobility disabilities (use of wheelchair or other assistive device); neurological disorders (traumatic brain injury, epilepsy, motor or tic disorders); orthopedic disabilities (bone or muscle disorders, connective tissue disorders); sensory disabilities (hearing, vision). Examples of accommodations include extended time for test-taking, accessible campus housing, transportation assistance, and textbooks in digital format.
If access accommodations are needed, this form gives you, the student, the opportunity to give SDS additional information about your disability, the impact of the condition, the accommodations that you will need to address the impact, and the accommodations you have used in the past.
Please complete this form and submit it along with your disability documentation if you are requesting accommodations. The access accommodation request process is finished when all of the following steps have been completed:
1. Submission of this "Disability Self-Disclosure and Request for Access Accommodations" form.
2. Submission of current and comprehensive disability documentation that meets SDS guidelines. (Documentation guidelines are available at http://sds.cornell.edu
.) Documentation can be securely uploaded online with or after submission of this form, faxed to 607 255-1562, or mailed or delivered to Student Disability Services, Cornell University, 420 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-6601.
3. You have met with a SDS staff person for an initial assessment interview after the SDS staff person has reviewed your disability documentation.
Accessible Housing Requests
- For fall semester admission, first-year student requests for accessible housing and supporting documentation should be submitted to SDS by May 15; transfer student requests should be made by July 1.
- For spring semester admission, all accessible housing requests should be made by December 1.
- For continuing student academic-year housing, requests, including a meeting with an SDS counselor, should be submitted by February 12.
- Students who are approved for accessible housing after the room assignment period will be placed on a wait list.
While requests for disability services may be made at any time, we strongly encourage you to submit this request with your disability documentation as early as possible. Doing so will facilitate the timely provision of accommodations approved by SDS. SDS staff may consult with subject matter experts in health fields regarding accommodation requests.
Information provided to SDS is confidential. Note:
Information submitted on the Health History Form to Cornell Health is not shared with SDS.
Need more information?
Contact Student Disability Services, Cornell University (telephone: 607 254-4545; fax: 607 255-1562; Deaf/HOH: via 711 Relay; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
); website: http://sds.cornell.edu
PLEASE NOTE: Responses are required for all questions. Please use "Not Applicable" if the question does not apply to your situation.